Monday, October 08, 2007

Lice Picking

Was just wondering how many of you have been lice picking before? I had never ever experienced anything like this until I became a momma to these little girlies!

I can not explain over the past month how much time I have invested to getting these little girlies hair clean. When we took our first set of girls in Oct 2006 they all had lice, well we could not seem to get rid of it in a weeks time we shaved their heads. Then when we took Pamela and Daniela in our home in May 2007 they had lice also. We did not want to cut their hair also so we tried to get rid of it. Well since then we have gotten rid of it several times, but in the mean time it has also came back several times too. This time we all had it BAD! From the boys to the girls to me and Naomi! For the boys we just cut their hair off but for us girls we used listerne. I know you are thinking that is for your mouth, well I am here to tell you it works for lice too. We soaked our hair in it for two hours and then covered out hair tightly with a bag. From there a lot of them where killed. So then it was on to getting these little dead eggs out of their heads.

In the midst of all of this I am at the point of praying dear Lord take these nasty little creatures from our home, I know it sounds silly but I was done!

Anyways after we got it all washed out we have been using white vinager, oil with the special lice combs to get all of the eggs out of their hair. This process did not work so well for us so instead every day I have been taking my fingernails thru their hair and pulling out the eggs. This is what I call the lice picking. It is just hours and hours of picking these little eggs out. They all are dead after the listerne but we want their little heads free of dead eggs and clean. I just finished little Daniela right now with the help of Elvia. She had it the worse of all of them. So I think they all are clean finally! So I hope that for now I am done with this ch. of lice picking!

The hard part for us is that we have no hot water to wash sheets. So cleaning the couches and beds have been hard. We used three bottles of lysol on the beds and couches and such. So I am hoping we killed any traces there. Also for those of you who have been here before know how a majority of these kiddos live here in Honduras. Filthy dirty and unbathed so that makes it hard for us to keep them from the kiddos when our kids go to the public school. So for now we are continuing to keep a close eye on them so it does not get out of hand. Also we are spraying their hair weekly with listerne just to keep a handle on it!

So just be praying these little critters do not come back to invade our home. After reading this I hope that your head is not itching. Just sitting here typing I keep scratching mine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dont have to shave their heads just keep the hair short. Yes my head is itching right now. Who told you about mouth wash?

Anonymous said...

when i was in public school my mom would always pull by hair back in a ponytail and then she would use hairspray in my hair. She said it helped to prevent headlice. haha i think she was right...i was the only one in a class of 30 that didnt get it.

Lori said...

just for future reference I hear mayo is a killer of lice too. What a battle. Let me know if you want me to bring any furniture spray when I come in Nov.