Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hospital Escuela

Yesterday I spent part of the day at Hospital Escuela. For those of you who have been here before with TORCH teams you have seen the poverty, dirtiness, and the sadness this place holds. Well I have been there several times with TORCH groups also to visit the hurting mommas, the child who has been there alone with out any one to visit them for 6 months, and the one who just lost a child. It is always a touching experience and you leave there with compassion for those people and usually one special person you interacted with that day stays on your heart and mind.
Although yesterday I got to see it with whole new eyes. I was there yesterday with Isabel. The little girl that Ashley has taken in and is taking care of. Well we were not there this time to visit anyone we were there because Isabel needed medical attention. So the Dr. that had been attending her before when she was in the hospital two weeks ago at Viera volunteers his time at Hospital Escuela in the mornings and he told us to meet him there yesterday morning so he could see Isabel for free of charge. Very nice, helpful and wonderful Doctor. Well little did I know what I was in for. I knew it would be a whole new experience but it opened my eyes and heart to things I could have never imagined.
To see the lines and lines of people there with their sick child only to be told the Dr. would not be in till 1pm and they got there at 6am. Some of those waiting had seats while others has little sick ones and no where to sit. Let me tell you with little Isabel me and Dorian passed her back and forth as we waited in lines and such and she wore my arms out fast so I can't even imagine those who waited all morning long. Some had been getting up early every morning for the past week to come and bring there child for continued care and so they were getting up early every day traveling 3hours or so and missing going to work because they were 1st and foremost concerned about their child.
As we waited in lines the smell was over whelming of sweaty bodies, dirty diapers, and pukey babies and I am not even too sure what else. It was enough to make me a little tipsy and want to vomit myself. At one point I had to tell Dorian I would be back and go take a walk and get some fresh air, it was just too much.
After seeing the Dr. we were sent all over the hospital for different tests, meds, and paperwork. The Dr. told us we needed to go out to the pharmacy and buy one of the meds we needed and have them give it to Isabel. They had the other ones that we needed there in the hospital pharmacy but one they did not have so they need to have Dorian go and get it while I stayed there in the hospital and waited for him to come back with the medicine. Then we had to go get an injection in the emergency room in the peds dept. Being in the pediatric emergency room was overwhelming. People were bring in kids right and left. One had been hit by a car while riding her bike and her leg was cut open and broken. Another child has been beat severely and the police came while we were there to investigate this case. Others had passed out for some reason or another. Some they had in the actually emergency room while others they layed in beds in the hall way and still others they had no bed for them to even lay in. The Dr.'s that were there were working hard it was just more than what they could handle. We were there quit awhile because they wanted to admit Isabel but after giving her a shot she calmed down from her convulsions and they just observed her a few hours before releasing us to go home.
When it was time to go home I was for more than ready to get out of this place but at the same time my heart went out to these people. For me it is so hard to imagine to go somewhere like this when needing medical care. Luckily I know different and that is not the case for me, but the poor here have no other option. It is either watching your child suffer, having your child die, or taking the free medical care at Hosptial Escuela. For the people here it is no question at all. They will wait in lines all day, miss work for weeks, and give there last cent to have their child well.
By seeing the amount of people that was there yesterday I would think every one wanted the well being of their child, but we all know the reality of the children here in Honduras and how many are neglected, abused and abandoned. I am just thankful for all of those I saw yesterday who do care!
Right now I ask that you pray for each and every person in this hospital, whether child, mother, nurse or doctor. Pray that God attends to them and wraps them up tonight.

I thank you God for continually showing me these moments that continue to soften me up. It is easy in the time that I have been here to be here in Santa Ana and forget about what is happening all around me. So I thank you Lord for the reminder yesterday! May I continue to grow in my compassion and love for those in this country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Kiddo.....Don't know how you do all you do but you continue to amaze us. Ashley's blog says alot. I am proud of you! Give Dorian a hug for me too. God Bless!!!! Love ya! Shar

Anonymous said...

Karen Everybody is not cut out for the work you do. but yo do it so well. May God continue to guide you to be His hands and feet.
I pray that you will be able to have the financial support to continue this ministry.
Honor God in everything you do