Saturday, June 19, 2010

May 2010 Update

May 2010

May was an eventful month for Dorian and I. At the beginning of the month I was given a gift of a ticket home to see my brother graduate from Harding University. My sister Lisa was the only one of my family who knew I was coming. I love surprising people! I thought my mother was going to have a heart attack and my father thought Lisa brought a friend to meet him for lunch! And I was even able to surprise Brian. I flew home to Ohio and completed the road trip to Arkansas which was half the fun. I also got to see my mother and grandmother for Mother's day weekend.
I was missing Dorian and was happy to get back home to see him.

We have a fairly new employee here at Casa and her name is Pamela. She and her husband Roni were married about the same time as Dorian and me. They have a little boy who is Emanuel he is 2 years old. Dorian has been studying with Roni and he was recently baptized in March. We were woke up early May 1st Saturday morning by Pamela crying and screaming. We found out that Roni was walking home from a late work day the night before and never arrived home. His body was found on the side of the road and it appeared that he was hit by a car and killed.
Besides trying to comfort Pamela, we had to help prepare the body for burial, have an all night vigil/church service in their home and even help dig the grave. A lot of culture shock for this girl! Please pray for Pamela to have the courage to look to Him for comfort. Right now she is just so confused and looking for guidance and direction and trying to understand all of this.
We also welcomed a new intern here to Casa, Stacey Hooper has made a one year commitment to help us here. Looking foward to getting to know her and welcome her here in the Casa family.

Dorian has began classes again and doing well, but I miss him always being here to help at Casa. He has decided to ride the bus as to help save money. He drives maybe one or two times a week to class but other than that he is taking the public transportation. Oh how we would love to have a car of our own. Maybe someday!!!

Rain has been a huge obstacle to the people here. Torrential rains from tropical storms have washed away whole hillsides and electric has been off for days at a time. Having all the children stuck inside for a couple days with no electricity is problematic at times but then I remember those who have no roof other than cardboard and no clothes to hang on lines inside to dry before they sour.

We are blessed and continually humbled! Thank you for your prayers and support and just for being in our lives!

Blessings~
Dorian and Karen Guido

No comments: