Friday, February 10, 2012

Fearless

Katy

Out of all of our kids Katy knows no fear! She can climb the highest tree, get on top of the biggest dog (that she doesn't even know), jump all around from one thing to another and on and on goes the list, you get the idea. Well earlier this week she was outside rollerblading and she grabbed on to the back of one of the bikes the Antonio was riding and starting yelling faster, faster. Well before long she fell and skinned/burned her arm on the bike tire. We saw her skin has been rubbed off but didn't think much of it, with 24 kids we can't go running to the hospital for everything.
Well last night at shower time she couldn't get her shirt off because her shirt was stuck to her skin. Dilma cleaned it up and put iodine on it and dressed it. We talked and decided this afternoon I would take her to the Dr. to see if I could get some cream or something to put on it. Well this morning when Terri was changing the dressing it was stuck to her skin once again and had to pull it off. Then she started bleeding and bleeding and bleeding. Terri had to hold pressure on it to get it to stop bleeding.
Terri and I decided that we needed to get her to the Dr. sooner than later. So I dropped the kids off at school and then we to the local hospital her to have her checked out. They told me they would need to keep her overnight and hopefully would be able to come home Saturday morning.
First of all in the hospital we can not have phones. So I could not call anyone to tell them they were going to keep Katy. Katy was a little worried and was having a hard time understanding she was going to spend the night in the hospital. She started to get a little teary eyed. After getting her all checked in I told her I needed to go get her some things and check on Korbin and I would be back later with some stuff to give to her.
When I returned to the hospital I found her with three puzzles she was putting together and some toys on her bed. She was loving it!!! I had packed a bag for her with snacks, slippers, unos cards, coloring sheets and personal items. She told me she thought she could stay there for a week! She is keeping the nurses on their toes as she quickly disappears from her bed and wonders the hall to the playroom to find more toys. Also I think she has made friends with all of the nurses/cleaning ladies and told them all sort of stories!
This evening one of our staff is staying the night with her. Let's hope she gets better soon and she gets to come back home tomorrow.

No comments: